No Caption Provided

Colin Spacetwinks is a author of fiction, non-fiction, and criticism, but still probably nearly known for posting a bunch of shit online. They publish a bunch of their original work over on their itch.io page ranging from things like a collection of their personal tips and tricks to living and working with ADHD to a body horror story about coming to work on your day off. They as well wrote that commodity nearly Christian Sonic the Hedgehog fandom that Alex shouted out on ane of his drumming streams. Thanks, Alex.

What can I say that hasn't been said? It has been a long, needlessly cruel year, and we the crunch we're living in isn't even over nonetheless as I type this. I feel like a character in an unfilmed Paul Verhoeven script, writing about which video games I liked best this twelvemonth while an ungodly amount of people died this yr due to the cruelty and apathy of people in power across the board. While I don't have the power and influence to exist in the place of Nero fiddling while Rome burned, I practice find myself feeling an awful lot like Roast Beef Kazenakis from the Achewood strip for September 2d, 2004.

But something I keep in listen is that while one-act, and fine art, and yes, games, is not enough--it is still necessary. I cannot defeat a crunch past making jokes about it, and one shouldn't make the common mistake of thinking truly cutting art tin undermine the ability of empires and the inertia of state cruelty. All this is true.

While all these will not resolve our problems, nosotros withal need them. For relief. For catharsis. For the spirit equally much every bit anything else. I make jokes throughout this twelvemonth to keep myself going and to aid others exercise the same. It won't turn the world around the way I desire, but it helps lighten the weight.

To be in that location for each other as people means beingness in that location for each other with things that don't seem as 'important', too. To assistance give each other that mental, spiritual, internal relief then the aches of the world don't build upward so high on us that we can't peradventure climb out from underneath them. I know I'thousand not the only one who turned to Giant Flop every now and over again this twelvemonth for that kind of personal relief, to make it easier to smile and refresh the self, continue going, get some energy back to fight for a better world.

And so making these lists, writing and talking almost the games nosotros loved this twelvemonth, we shouldn't go it twisted and think we're making a massive, material impact.

But nosotros shouldn't think we aren't doing anything, either. Even passively, nosotros're giving each other comfort. Support. Relief and catharsis, as I said.

Excuse my sappiness hither for a moment, and allow me say: May we continue to requite each other that support, that relief, through 2021 and across.

Here's to you lot, here's to us, hither's to being in that location for each other.

11. Umineko When They Weep

No Caption Provided

In the category of "Best game I played this twelvemonth and didn't come anywhere close to finishing", Umineko comes out at the top. Information technology'due south honestly comical at this point how many times I've said I want to become dorsum to it and then don't end upwardly doing so for no end of reasons, some of them out of my control, some of them entirely inside information technology, but I truly do want to go back to Umineko. There are so many wrapped together layers to this murder mystery, and so many tangents of themes that all go wrapped back into 1 tight knit--covering everything from the cycles of corruption to the nature of what is "real" and what is non, of what fiction and imagination mean to united states of america and how it impacts our material reality or how we perceive it, and none of information technology feels incidental or unnecessary. I've simply played virtually a third of the Question arc, and the Question arc is but one one-half of the game, so in that location's nonetheless tons for me to comprehend and find out! Who knows, it might end upwards back on my 2021 GOTY list too, and further enable my odd hobby of photoshopping one-time TV championship cards to be about the game while I live-tweeted my thoughts on information technology!

Having played so little, I tin can't--or perhaps merely don't want--to go that in depth with information technology, but it really is a marvelously thoughtful and tense story and so far!

ten. Road Trip Adventure

Bodily driving makes me nervous. Can't stand up it. Put me in the driver seat of a car and my anxiety ramps up like wild. I can't get a skilful feel for how much space in the universe I have up, how far away I am from anybody else and how likely I might be to crash into them. Besides much to pay attention to in a steel carapace that'due south all going at 60 miles-per-hour or more. Not that holding the car in place is any meliorate--I vividly remember when I was learning to drive back in my teens with a stick shift, stalling out on a hill with about three cars behind me, panic climbing inside of my throat at an alarming rate, making information technology that much harder to focus and get the motorcar back into gear and moving out of the manner.

But when I'm not in the driver's seat, or at least when I'm in a digital commuter's seat, I tin can find driving so soothing.

1 of my favorite things to watch on Giant Bomb has been Alex'due south trucking streams, and he himself has talked earlier about the soothing, almost meditative experience he can get from driving, both in the Truck Simulator games and in real life, going down long stretches of empty California highway then dorsum again. While I'll never get the same condolement he does from actually having a bicycle in my hands and my foot on a gas pedal, I as well find myself relaxed simply watching those long hauls, seeing the globe get by, listening to some music. Even when the radio is tuned to European decease metal pouring through the speakers and into my headphones, I still find myself with a steady heartbeat and a relaxed breath, adrenaline kept firmly in their reserved pockets.

No Caption Provided

In the final month of 2020, Route Trip Adventure delivered that aforementioned easygoing feeling. And it was badly needed after, well. I hardly demand to say it, practise I?

At that place's this absurdity to Road Trip Adventure that ends up making itself fifty-fifty more than relaxing to me. First is the cars themselves, which are little toys, penny racers, specifically the Choro-Q line of toy cars, a Japanese make that'due south been going for over 40 years at present, with dozens of video game adaptations. They're these squat, beautiful niggling things, and they talk, though not so similar the cars from the Pixar movie. No mouths, no eyes, no limbs, no twisting and turning of their machinery to imitate human affectations. Just toy cars, talking, running businesses, and apparently fifty-fifty eating food and having systems of government--the very premise of Road Trip Risk being that the President Machine is tired of being president and is saying anyone who tin can beat out him in a race gets to be president now--and never a wink or nod to the idea that this might be cool. Fittingly, it'south a bit like being a child playing pretend once more, dropping Hot Wheels into a city built out of Legos, making them have an entire active society, and non caring ane whit how it would take to "actually" work to accommodate their steel frames. There's coffee shops in your neighborhood, so the cars have coffee shops as well. Why not? You're here to bask yourself, not to think about the hows and whys, the lore for a world of living cars.

There's two areas in Road Trip Adventure that brand the biggest impression on my heed, that I tin think of and merely feel myself relaxing by calling them to my memory. And they're right side by side to each other. The first is the long road taking you away from the starting city Peach Town. The 2nd is the ocean itself.

The game has a twenty-four hours/night cycle, and taking that long road out of town during the bright hours of the solar day gave this relaxing atmosphere, emphasized and enhanced by instrumental music by Michael Walthius. The globe layout and the simple, flat colors of the grass and sky around me made me feel like I was touring through the environments of a budget Christian video game. At that place wasn't a soul around me, the earth strangely empty, notwithstanding not feeling desolate, lifeless. Information technology was more dreamlike. Every bit if I had fallen asleep and my consciousness dropped out of my torso and into a toy auto, and that toy car had been dropped into a earth where information technology was the only living matter that existed, and that was fine. Seeing row afterwards row windmills as I crested hills brought a placidity smile to my confront. I had no idea where I was going, nor what I would practise once I got at that place. I didn't know if in that location was anyone else effectually me or annihilation to exercise. In that moment, at that place was just me, the route, and the windmills. And that was fine. Bully, even.

So I pulled off-road and collection direct into the ocean. The game didn't finish me. Didn't pull me out, telling me "no, no, of course you tin't go in there, what are y'all thinking". I just kept driving, surrounded by an endless blue, indestructible tires rolling over the very bottom of the body of water floor. Even so nobody and nothing in sight. Non another car, not a fish, not anything. Me, the bounding main, and the music. I had even less idea of where I was going or where I could get now.

And I kept driving without purpose, with Michael Walthius' music on the radio to keep me company.

How relaxing. How wonderful.

9. Gravity Rush 2

Gravity Blitz 2 hates the rich.

It really, really fucking hates the rich.

It's an incredibly fun game, with mechanics that experience similar someone looked at Spider-Man ii The Movie The Game for the PS2 and went "I like this, simply moving around the urban center could be way funnier", switching out swinging for reversing and accelerating gravity, going from location to location less by flying and more past treating yourself as a ragdoll to exist launched from one spot to another, smashing your body into the ground in a fashion that feels like you gave Johnny Knoxville superpowers. Though a Sony title, and written and directed by Keiichiro Toyama of Silent Colina ane fame, information technology near reminds me of the move from Sega games similar Super Monkey Brawl, Sonic Take a chance ii, and NiGHTS Into Dreams, all fused together into 1 well flowing package. I have a nail playing information technology!

No Caption Provided

But what I think almost the most is how much information technology hates the rich.

There'due south a sequence in the game where you have to hop from ane mansion to the next, using your command over the very force of gravity to accept intendance of chores and tasks for obscenely wealthy people who can't exist bothered to practise a affair for themselves. They call back you're their retainer, considering they recollect merely about everyone simply those obviously of their own class are their servants, and they order you around to use those superpowers of yours to water their plants as well as--in the part that reminded me the nearly of Spider-Man 2--call up a balloon for a kid. A spoiled ane who, similar their parent, shows zip appreciation for what you've done, and even insults you for existence poor. The last part of this affiliate of the game has one of those rich people musing most how bored they are and respond with no limit of glee when a military officer tells them that they're going to be 'clearing out' the islands and homes of the underclass, as well equally the people who alive in that location… and so an amusement park can be congenital downward in that location.

It might seem over the top at first glance--it certainly would've felt that way to me a decade or so ago--but now I call back about all the places out there that have been, and are still aggressively, ruthlessly turned into tourism spots, using coin, manipulated legal systems, and outright trigger-happy force in social club to create 'paradises' for the well to do. All at the expense of everybody else. So they won't be bored. And so they tin take somewhere overnice to spend a couple weeks in the summer.

The gameplay of Gravity Blitz 2 is very satisfying, yous know? Has a great tactile feel to it. Especially when you lot're hurling boxes at a hundred miles per 60 minutes at regular army goons carrying out the bored, fiddling whims of the elite.

8. Dark Souls

Yes, I'chiliad extremely late to this party.

You have most likely already read thousands upon thousands of words about Dark Souls. And as much every bit I'yard known for, and even feel comfortable, being extremely longwinded with my thoughts on games, y'all don't need me to do the aforementioned here. So much has already been covered and mined out of this game, in critical responses and in games taking inspiration from it since.

No Caption Provided

But I still want to say something about information technology, and so I want to cover a slice of it, a person in information technology, who doesn't get the aforementioned kind of focus and theorizing and disquisitional thought equally others.

I desire to say: Siegmeyer is my friend.

Information technology's not totally off-white to say Siegmeyer doesn't get all that much coverage, information technology'southward but that it's mostly treating him as something of a joke, and I'm not innocent here either. There'due south a Mr. Edible bean attribute to him, where he's bumbling through this incredibly dangerous world and you're left at a loss equally to how or fifty-fifty ofttimes 'why'. You know why you're hither, what you're hither to do, even if the nitty gritty details of your quest are obfuscated, sometimes intentionally so. Siegmeyer wants take chances, and that's it. The joy of the journey itself, in a place where death is at every corner.

He'due south not the grizzled badass you'd expect for that desire, and that's the point, to me. Solaire is the ane who tends to get more of the focus when looking at Nighttime Souls from this angle, only Siegmeyer is just as important to me. He'southward someone who feels like he shouldn't be here, shouldn't be surviving as long every bit he does, someone who seems out of place. And still he goes on, without losing his cheer and breezy attitude near it all. Someone put it to me this way on twitter, and I find myself agreeing: Siegmeyer tries his best, and his best is pretty damn good, all things considered.

At the start of the game I was baffled by him, simply the longer I spent, the more I was fond of him. He's like a friend you lot know who has all these bizarre, incredible anecdotes, and y'all know he's non making them up because he'due south not telling you them to brag. Somehow he keeps falling into and out of these wild experiences and y'all can't help but grinning as he tells yous these stories. Information technology feels so good to meet Siegmeyer, to talk to him, to wonder how he got to where he did, and what'due south on his mind at present.

Siegmeyer is a friend, and a friend I wish you got to spend more time with. Only I guess that's 1 of the things that makes Dark Souls so good. Getting you lot attached to the onion knight and making you feel something lost when you can't spend any more time with them, like a friend moving away.

What a kind soul, Siegmeyer is. I'd think of his laugh or his "Hmm hmm hmm" sometimes, and smiling.

7. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

I loved the original Valkyrie Profile all the way back when it came out, but there's no getting around the fact that it's one of the about egregious examples of a game built to sell strategy guides. Y'all want the true ending for that Norse mythology JRPG? Well pony up 15-xx bucks to Prima because good fucking luck figuring out how to attain it on its ain. Seriously, if you don't already know the intricate and obtuse bullshit about Valkyrie Contour's endings, I honestly recommend you look it upwards. An utterly bizarre chain of events that you have to practise just right, the kind of "How the hell was I supposed to know that?!" that you could put around the same expanse of Simon's Quest or various Sierra adventure game puzzles.

No Caption Provided

Covenant of the Plumage doesn't have this problem. All told, I'd really say the DS tactics RPG is a meliorate game, and a better story. Information technology's more focused, more than counterbalanced. The thing that sticks out to me the virtually near it is how it tackles the act of killing other characters, of sacrificing your own allies--and does it so well. Many other games going at this problem are… honestly kind of hollow. At that place's either no real stakes at all, where choosing whether to kill someone or not only affects a few points on a skill tree or a mission advantage (and and so oft the rewards for killing someone are so overwhelmingly better than the meager rewards or story quality of doing the right thing that it's no wonder so many players cull the bloodier path, run across Knights of the Old Republic and Force Lightning), or it'south worn out metacommentary, the game scolding and mocking you for enjoying being the bad guy, fifty-fifty as every system is built for you to relish it all, or gives you no pick but to kill. It wears thin.

With Covenant of the Feather, sacrificing your own teammates is a fundamental game mechanic and story feature, and it makes both of them piece of work by tying them tightly into the game's difficulty. Sacrificing a teammate gives your chief character a massive stat boost during a battle, and too gives them an unlocked skill afterwards. Around the kickoff of the game you lot might call back "Well, and so I just won't sacrifice anyone at all. What's the problem?"

Then the difficulty starts ratcheting up.

Covenant of the Plumage doesn't say y'all accept no choice but to sacrifice your allies for your own goals, simply that it's just non equally elementary as saying you'll practise the right thing and patting yourself on the back for it. It is possible to push your way through each fight without throwing anyone under the double-decker, without having to appoint in your own magically powered version of the trolley problem, merely that doesn't mean the game will make it easy for you. You'll run into battles where you can endeavour again and once more with different strategies, dissimilar loadouts, different individual movements. You lot might terminate up approaching information technology like you would Into the Alienation, constantly going back a step or two or rebooting the battle entirely, trying to find the "perfect" way to cut through a fight.

No Caption Provided

Just you'll get frustrated. Worn downwards and exhausted. Because over and over again, the enemy will cut you downwards. It'southward still non impossible to beat them, only your patience and your optimism become weaker with every fresh attempt.

So that power yous have, to knowingly throw 1 of your teammates to the air current so you can turn the whole battle around with ease, going from struggling futilely to cutting soldiers down like wheat, it grows more and more appealing.

The tension and struggle is even amend if you play without a guide and go in knowing as little equally possible. Sacrificing an marry won't just affect your story, but it gets back into the game design and its difficulty. If you don't know what battles are to come up yet, you could be shooting yourself in the foot past killing off ane of your teammates so you can finally stop one excruciating fight. You don't know when you lot'll get some other person to join your party, or if they're even any expert, if their stats and abilities are a expert lucifer for what yous're going for and the fights you'll face. Covenant of the Plume tells a taut story nigh revenge and the selfishness it can bring out in someone, non by offering yous a elementary 'Be a Good Person/Be a Bad Person' dialogue option at a crucial moment, or past giving you no choice at all and needling you for being immoral, simply past using the actual difficulty in a tactics game and the uncertainty of what could happen withal to make it an honest to god struggle about whether or not to take someone else's life into your own easily.

Doing the right affair isn't necessarily easy, only doing the incorrect thing can just as quickly shoot yourself in the foot too. It'southward an incredible sit-in of how game balance tin can be but every bit large a part of narrative design as anything else.

six. Fatal Frame Ii: Crimson Butterfly

No Caption Provided

There'south this satisfying click to the way Fatal Frame Two'south design comes together. Whether it was intentional or non, I cannot say, simply the act of playing information technology gives me this feeling of being a ghost myself. This out of body experience, looking at the world, looking at myself, looking at myself looking at others. It'southward all in the cameras, plural. The first-person camera, the locked 3rd-person cameras, and the spirit photographic camera itself that brings yous into first-person mode, where you can see everything effectually yous from the optics of its twin sister protagonists.

I've long been a defender of locked cameras, specially in horror games. Getting Resident Evil for PS1 at a way likewise young age solidified that, even if playing it the first time had me putting the game abroad for over a month because it just scared me too bad back and so. At that place is photographic camera pattern in games that makes for much easier, much more intuitive gameplay, only the locked camera opens up one thousand possibilities for a game designer. To set up scenes, to build tension, to intentionally limit what the player can see and how they see information technology.

No Caption Provided

I beloved the mode the scenes are set and the cameras are laid out in Fatal Frame 2. There's this beautiful haunting temper and tension from the very beginning equally y'all wander through the woods lonely, and it carries through the rest of the game. Fittingly for a game centered around photography, there's fantastic utilise of composition everywhere you lot go, changing up angles to bring shots that stick with you long after you're done playing. Wandering through the abandoned homes and feeling on edge as you lot watch the shadows shift and plow with your movements, wondering if you're existence followed, only to see information technology's because of the light of a lantern casting through paper walls, or the moon beaming through copse and making the branches loom menacingly, overwhelming you and your shadow, absorbing the both of you into its own shade. There might not be a killer hiding around the other side, merely the Fatal Frame serial makes the copse themselves menacing. And there's the nervousness of looking through that aforementioned world through the lens of the spirit camera, turning and moving around, never knowing if there might be a spirit but out of your line of sight waiting to cutting you down. Limiting your vision, through the locked third-person photographic camera and the boxed in offset-person view of the spirit camera, exercise just as much to menace you every bit what the game makes you see.

Just in that location'due south an aspect unique to 2, not in Fatal Frame i or three, that gave me that ghostly feel, that out of trunk experience. It's the fact that twin sisters are the protagonists. From the locked camera view, I am the audience, watching these two slowly motion through a haunted world. From the first-person view when I enhance that photographic camera up, the fact that I am a participant and not just the audition becomes more stark, more obvious, looking at the eerie woods and village through the eyes of Mio and Mayu Amakura.

No Caption Provided

And when I turn that photographic camera to expect at Mio--or Mayu'south--twin sis, Fatal Frame Two completes that ghostly, out of body feeling. I am watching myself, looking at myself. And I tin take a photo of myself, to commit to memory. Information technology'south different than looking in a mirror, considering the ways yous can expect at yourself in a mirror are and so limited. Whereas Fatal Frame Two has spent so much time earlier you even go the camera to let you see these sisters that you lot control, that you possess like a spirit yourself, from that distance of the locked camera.

The spirits and the haunts in the game are very well done. But it's those layers of cameras, of viewing and controlling, of existing and witnessing yourself existing from both a distance and through your 'own' eyes, that's what will stick with me the most.

Cameras can do then much more take photos. They tin disorient and distance you from yourself too, if yous're not careful.

Every bit yous'll find out immediately adjacent, and further down, I ended up thinking a lot about cameras this yr.

5. Cellular Harvest

Cellular Harvest is a relaxing, arctic photography game of exploratory wonder. The world is soft and gentle. The mood is soothing. It calls to listen a lot of what people nearly enjoyed almost the early editions of No Human being'south Sky; jumping from earth to world, cataloging it, taking photos, breathing in the wonder of the universe. A relaxing experience of existing and documenting what's effectually you, and there being so much around yous, so much to meet. Then much to mine. So much to mark for your interests. So calming, beautiful, wonderful. A galactic collection of postcards, showing all the interplanetary travel you lot've done.

No Caption Provided

Cellular Harvest brings upward all those same feelings to bear witness the casual cruelty that can exist hidden within of them.

With every new year we accept more and more games, more than stories in general, going "Hey, capitalism is incredibly fucked upwardly? And I hate it?" It's no surprise, given much of my generation has been living through multiple 'once in a lifetime' recessions that we've never truly recovered from, alongside an onslaught of other miseries, big and small, too many for me to catalog here. Nosotros can but nod our heads at each other and go, "Yeah, I know what you lot mean", considering nosotros do. And then a lot of these games take explored this aspect of capitalism from the aspect of the victims, and the kinds of victims of nosotros are nearly personally familiar with, because hey, write what you lot know and all that. Cart Life, Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, you get the movie.

Cellular Harvest does not take this angle, even while the creators of the game obviously find their solidarity in line with those others tackling the same bailiwick. Instead, it points its eyes, its camera, at the tools of capitalism. The mechanism and arrangement of information technology, the gears that plough within information technology, how the exploitation happens from the top down, and where the individual comes into play with information technology, participating it, perpetuating it.

Where does your relaxation come up from? How did you become those beautiful sights? What did the people have from those places? What are people trying to sell you? What are the people behind that 'relaxation' doing when you're not looking?

No Caption Provided

Why are yous taking photos of everything? For what end? For who? For what profit?

What is the price of your relaxation?

It'south not a spoiler to say the premise of Cellular Harvest is that you are an 'Auditor', and you have an AI equipped into your suit that calculates the value of everything you photograph in the universe for your corporate bosses. This is not a twist revealed to you at the stop of the game to make you become "Hahaha, you were the bad guy the whole time! Is that shocking or what?!" This is the writeup the game has of itself, letting you lot know before you even boot it upwardly why you're taking photos, and the reasons you're doing and so are morally vacuous. I remember this is important--preferable, really. Going in knowing what you're doing is wrong, from start to finish. Not admonishing y'all at the end to twist a knife. Letting it exist similar it so often is in our life to brainstorm with.

Cellular Harvest gives you an low-key, relaxing time, because such things are crucial to the way the banality of evil works. It's very, very easy to go somewhere beautiful, wonderful, and to know it's being exploited, and that you are part of that exploitation, and to shrug your shoulders and say, "Well, what're you gonna practice?"

So you enjoy the memories y'all made and the photos you took, even as y'all passively, quietly know when you lot await at them that all that beauty is being exploited and mined. For your pleasure and relaxation, or for others. You lot take a picture, because it really will last longer--commercialism is making sure of it. The phrase becomes a threat and a hope, and you as a gear perpetuating it.

No Caption Provided

Information technology'south of import to think that your relaxation can--and does--and then often come up at the cost of others. In No Man'south Sky, while you're going to each planet and drinking in the sights, you're also trigger-happy out every natural resource y'all can for your own use. In Cellular Harvest, you're enjoying the visual and audio pleasures of your job, knowing that yous're function of the machine making sure this beautiful place won't stay beautiful, won't stay untouched.

And in our ain lives, the places we wait at through postcards and travel catalogs are even so. Our admiration of the photos has suffering and exploitation, not merely outside the framing of the photograph, merely in the photographic camera itself that took it, and the paw that pressed the shutter push, and the people who paid the person to take those photos.

Relaxation is not neutral, and neither are cameras.

iv. Treachery in Beatdown Urban center

No Caption Provided

I've already written thousands of words about the combat system to Treachery In Beatdown City. You can read them over here at Uppercut Crit (and IMO, you should read a agglomeration of their other stuff too). I'll give you the short version hither: Treachery In Beatdown Metropolis doesn't merely love the vanquish-'em-ups of the past, information technology has studied and dissected them for hours upon hours, all so it could encounter what worked, what didn't, what needed to exist changed, and so reassembled it all into one of the most incredibly finetuned combat systems I've ever experienced in a game, with a rhythm to the activity that feels like breathing. I can't recommend information technology enough. Play it, whip some ass, fight somebody.

3. Haunted Cities Book iv

No Caption Provided

There are four stories in Kitty Horrorshow's latest drove of experimental games. They're all splendid. They're all tense, they all take hold of at horror and shape it in ways that class this kind of atmospheric pressure on your skull. Slowly increasing, painfully and then, only taking enough time with that pain to let you suffer it, go used to information technology, to feel like it'southward a kind of inevitable fact of beingness. "What're yous going to do about information technology, huh?" Instead of worrying about a killer hiding in the night, it'southward fright and pain that climbs on your back in bits and pieces. Building upwards, this invisible tower of doubt and worry that you tin never quite milk shake off, but never quite crushes y'all either. In that location'due south no relief of something but existence 'over', of opening the door and seeing that a monster is there--or isn't. Yous but go along walking and you become more tired and worn down and the invisible tower never gets whatever easier to conduct. Merely it never gets so heavy that you tin terminate, either. The horror has this Sisyphean experience to the atmosphere effectually information technology.

All four give me the kind of feelings that I can rattle off well-nigh like that, simply there's one in specific I desire to get into a piddling actress detail hither. I don't want to spoil it, really, but I'll try to become across this slice in it that ways so much to me.

No Caption Provided

The most of import moment in "Exclusion Zone" involves an apology. It is given to someone yous practise not see, volition never meet, will never go to talk to. It is a heartfelt apology, ane not given for the person delivering information technology, but for the globe simply being so unfair. For being sorry that everyone tried their hardest and wanted to help and they cared but things only didn't work out because sometimes wanting to do good isn't enough. Being sorry for the injure this stranger had to suffer that nobody could exercise anything nearly, no matter how difficult they tried.

Y'all read this apology while the noises of a Geiger counter are at maximum, knowing you lot're beingness bombarded with radiation the whole time. You come across this pain, this hurt, this apology that they suffered so much for no reason, while you too have pain welling up inside of you lot, the kind also out of your command.

No Caption Provided

There is pain, and fear, and like Sisyphus, so much of it is out of our control. It hurts, and nosotros cry nearly it, but even while that pain throbs inside of us, we tin can reach out and clasp another person tight, sorry that the word is and then unkind to both of us. The pain doesn't get abroad, just at least we're not solitary in it, and we know--and we tell each other--we didn't do anything to deserve information technology.

Solidarity and kindness as 2 people enduring forever rolling a loma up a boulder, a bird pecking at our organs.

2. Signs of the Sojourner

An piece of cake error to make with Signs of the Sojourner, and one I initially made myself, is going into it with the thought of 'winning' conversations.

No Caption Provided

To give context: Signs of the Sojourner is a narrative deckbuilding game. The cards you lot play are used to navigate conversations, with you lot matching symbols so yous can complete role of a chat. Do this enough times, and yous can finish the conversation on a supposedly positive note. If you and another person are unable to match symbols, and so your chat gets derailed. Take too many hits, and the chat fails entirely, ending things on a sour note.

Supposedly.

The bones story is thus: You are taking over the caravan work of your tardily mother, traveling around your patch of the world from city to city, picking upwards all sorts of things along the way and then y'all tin can resell them back at the shop at habitation that your mother likewise left behind. Yous need to make sure you tin get plenty items to sell so the caravan even so has a reason to come dorsum through your town at all, equally information technology functions every bit a precious lifeline to non but your shop, but the livelihoods of anybody in boondocks. The leader of the caravan is stern, merely sympathetic to your ain needs--but she's facing pressures of her own from others to cut your town out for the whole matter of cost/profit ratios of the people far above her. Everyone's feeling some form of pressure to perform, not just you.

So, as you go from town to town, you have to make conversations with locals, build up relationships, ones of both personal and business organization needs, so everything can proceed running smoothly and your entire life doesn't get thrown wildly off-rails. With how everything is ready upwards, it'south natural to desire to 'win' every conversation you come beyond. The instinct is that if you lot literally and figuratively play your cards right, the world volition autumn into your favor. And but on an emotional level, it's frustrating when you can't make yourself understood, or understand others, especially those who are personally shut and important to you. To not be able to sympathize or be understood past someone you've known your whole life has a specially rough sting to it.

No Caption Provided

But y'all can't 'win' every conversation in real life, and what'due south more than, y'all shouldn't, either. Merely as much as you're playing the game of bartering and haggling, yous are being played too. You could accept a very positive conversation with someone that ends well, that ends with you and them understanding 1 some other… just to realize that they were keeping your attention on their mouth so you wouldn't notice when they picked your pocket. Or some other person, bragging about their wares with the swaying doubtfulness of a machine salesman who has been in the sun for 12 hours, aggressively selling their own bullshit but increasingly unable to audio convinced of it. You could accept that conversation go 'positively'… and most likely end up beingness scammed. Sometimes in negotiation, the all-time affair you lot can do is close things down completely.

Signs of the Sojourner beautifully explores the rhythm of relationships, showing how they're not a game, fifty-fifty as they're in a game themselves. You cannot brand friends with everyone in the world, nor should you lot. You can't have every conversation go swimmingly, nor should you. And when it comes to your limited fourth dimension on Earth? You can't experience every single thing you could do, could be. You can't be everything to everyone, not even to yourself. Your development is a factor of both your circumstances and your ain choices. What do you want out of life? How practice you want to get about getting it? Who do you trust, and who do you look at with skepticism? Who do y'all requite 2nd chances, and who exercise y'all shut out completely? For that matter, who in the world gives you a 2d chance, and who will never talk to you again after a bad first impression? Some things are in your control and some things aren't, and how y'all act and react very clearly shapes yourself, your life, what kind of personal community you build. Even the aches of the body itself play into this; traveling on the caravan takes a toil on your energy, and occasionally puts a carte in your deck that volition immediately fail a chunk of your conversation, and sometimes your hand volition give you lot no choice but to fail. Speaking conspicuously and eloquently is hard equally hell when you oasis't gotten any sleep or yous've been working for twelve days direct.

No Caption Provided

Like I said, it gets the rhythm of conversations, of life. The menses of it all. Choices and consequences build up over time, as practice relationships. A conversation can first wonderfully and terminate in disaster, or go tense and rough merely end upwardly with relieving catharsis. Who yous are and how you relate to people is non etched in stone, permanent. Nor is it binary, like flicking a switch. Information technology's a pathway that gets defined the more you tread it, wear grooves into it, but at that place'due south always room for something in the road to take yous off guard, even if you've been traveling a route for decades.

The conversations are dealt with cards, just the rhythm of it all is far more like the caravan you travel in. What life you cease upward taking, who y'all finish upward existence to yourself and to others is non a betoken A to signal B journey, merely traveling many roads several times over, and that definition of the cocky emerging as you lot go.

One of the all-time of 2020. Can't recommend information technology enough.

1. Umurangi Generation

No Caption Provided

You'll probable hear a lot of this sentiment around Umurangi Generation: It's not just the game of 2020, it'due south the game most 2020. And I am no exception.

It's true on both counts. Nothing else I've played has captured this yr so well while living inside of it, and the years that had been edifice up to it. The last mission of the Macro DLC (which I'd also say is the best, most crucial DLC in a game I've always experienced) comes downwardly similar a hammer to the breast, vibrating through yous nearly everything in this year, what caused it, what keeps information technology going, the people its already been happening to for years while the residual of the world ignored it, the cruelty and brutality of it all, and it does it all without a character saying a single word. Completely incredible. It'due south the end of the year and I still can't quite put all my thoughts together on it. It feels like a long term projection, a necessary one, to talk about Umurangi Generation's final phase, to keep information technology in your memory so you can keep in listen everything that it connects to, a magnetic stone that pulls everything into itself.

Umurangi Generation is a first-person photography game set up in the "shitty future" of Tauranga Aotearoa. People have compared it some, stylistically and mechanically, to Jet Set Radio and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, but applied to taking photos. It's easy to see why, with the 3D character models and occasional neon retro-futurity vibes, combined with the photograph bounties you accept to consummate to cease a level, with bonus bounties to unlock extra photograph equipment and filtering tools. Betwixt the art mode and the level objectives that might experience to others like "What if you had to photograph S Thousand A T E letters instead of collecting them", information technology can be a fleck of an instinctive comparison. Especially with the ticking timer, giving you just x minutes to complete every objective if yous want those bonus unlocks. The mission won't fail if you don't go it done in that time. You tin take all the time you demand to finish off each master bounty. But it definitely adds a footling stress, reminding i of the fourth dimension limit in Tony Hawk to rack up those score goals, find the hidden tape, and and then on.

No Caption Provided

But that'south not what Umurangi Generation feels similar to me. It is nigh so much, and that includes photography. Information technology is non just a shift from rollerblades and skateboards to cameras, it's about cameras. What they're for, why i uses them, the piece of work of photography, the liberation of photography, the oppression of photography.

I talked about it in regards to Cellular Harvest, and Umurangi Generation takes it much farther.

"What's the purpose of a photographic camera?" is something the game asks yous, though not straight. Information technology's more a idea that itches at the dorsum of your head as you play, and at various points, forces that thought to the very forepart of your mind because the things you're taking photos of are too intense to ignore the implications of them. To finish a photo compensation of three soldiers smoking cigarettes, you lot might call back nix of it. To complete your bounties while one of those soldiers is bleeding out right next to y'all, that's much harder to pretend information technology doesn't mean a thing. And that to take a photo of them means nothing, that how you lot frame it ways zip. That there's no 'why' to information technology, and that it doesn't matter for who or for what purpose you're taking a photo of them.

No Caption Provided

A photographic camera is non a neutral object, and taking a photograph is not a neutral human action. Photography is not a neutral art, and this is ane of the most of import ways in which Umurangi Generation is nigh 2020. Ane of the big ongoing blowups you'd run into with news photographers over this year is confusion and indignant anger when people told them not to take pictures of protesters' faces, or to blur them out, something, annihilation, to make the protesters hard to identify. There was this attitude of "How cartel you?!" to so many reacting to these requests, photographers seeing what they did as natural and unobjectionable as water flowing through a creek. They're there to document history, of course they have to photograph the people, they might say. Certain, the police force might, could, would, did use those photos to place and rails downwardly protesters, only that'southward not something they, the photographer, should have to think about. And so many words spit and written out most their ain assumed neutrality, like they were a ghost observing the world, and relaying their photos to other ghosts, who could and would have no impact on what they saw, they would just discover. Seeing themselves as more or less The Watchers from Marvel comics, this egotistical sense that they just observed history in the making, never affecting it, simply documenting it, and that that documentation is absolutely crucial.

But the photographs aren't neutral. The news stories they're used for aren't neutral. The cropping of the photos aren't neutral, the color grading of the photos aren't neutral, the selection of what to focus on and what to leave unseen is not neutral, the choice of which photos a story will opt to include and which they'll get out out is non neutral, and the cops poring through those photos trying to find some lives to ruin sure as fuck aren't neutral.

No Caption Provided

There'due south a photograph by Evy Mages, one taken almost exactly 4 years agone, of a couple dozen people all crowding around a single overturned trash tin with a fire in it. It was in Washington, D.C., and it was during the inauguration. Information technology's comical. All these journalists and photographers looking for something they tin can sell every bit "Look at how destructive these protests, these protesters, are!" and becoming obsessed with property harm on the calibration of a single trash can fire, crowding around information technology like they were witnessing the Bastille beingness stormed. Meanwhile, your local sports team might win--or lose, it really doesn't thing--a game, and cars might become flipped and torched, entire streets laid to waste, and the mood of the reporting on information technology, if there's any at all, is probable to be "Hahaha, boys night! Dudes rock."

What are you taking photos of? Who for? How are you framing those photos? Why are y'all taking those photos? What aren't yous taking photos of? What are y'all INSISTING on taking photos of? Information technology all matters. At that place'south no neutrality in it, no matter how badly so many photographers desire to utilize their photographic camera as a moral shield, an escape from responsibility of their profession, their art, their existence as a man beingness. We are not unbiased viewers, giving unbiased coverage and documentation of the world around us and history equally it is being made. We are people who affect that world effectually the states, and we cannot pretend we are not considering we are choosing to take a photo of a protestation instead of marching in that protest ourselves.

No Caption Provided

I got large into apprentice photography over the last couple years, taking photos around my habitation country of Maine with my phone. I like taking photos of empty spaces the near, in town or in nature, and messing with the lighting and exposure and all to become moody, elegiac photos. Then much so that I titled my showtime photo pack "A Place Without Bodies", as I was intentionally avoiding, wherever possible, having any physical people in those photos.

And Umurangi Generation has a lot of entreatment to the sensibilities I've built in that location. Even with the limits and specifications of bounties, the game let me take photos the mode I wanted to. Leaning into the aesthetics and pattern that almost chosen out to my interests, to the way I liked to look at the globe and record information technology. Ane thing I say for people playing Umurangi Generation is to, chip by bit, let yourself relax about the bounties. Take your time with levels. Take photos, and figure out for yourself what kind of photos you like to take, what things you like taking photos of, what feels and looks skilful to you, and why. There is creative exploration here, and it's 1 achieved without having to hit you on the back of the caput telling you all virtually it. The more you take photos, and the more than tools y'all unlock, the more y'all call back most and tweak "How do I want this photo to await?", developing your own style. You lot don't only snap a photo and finish a job, you tin can and should take the time every bit yous play to develop your own way of photography. The impulse might be to become for the Perfect, Iconic Shot, something the postcard bounties could fulfill for you lot, simply I say the style to become is to lean dorsum and find what feels correct for you lot, not what you retrieve would necessarily impress others, or 'should' go on the comprehend of a magazine.

Now, I'm non a photojournalist. The photos I have IRL are all on that artistic focus. But that doesn't hateful I, and the camera I utilize, are neutral either. What I cull to take photos of, or not take, and the aforementioned goes for the photos I share, has meaning, touch, weight. Whether I similar it or not. Neither I nor anyone else tin only reap the positive aspects of photography and ignore whichever parts make us uncomfortable. The same goes for art of any kind. And then of course information technology applies to photography.

No Caption Provided

I've written all this, and nevertheless, this is but a small-scale slice of what Umurangi Generation is almost. What it does. I oasis't said a thing about the fantastic soundtrack, or the dolphin hooked up to a digital vocalizer and turntable equipment and makes music every bit DJ Tariq. Or talked about how the environmental storytelling in Umurangi Generation is the absolute all-time I've ever witnessed in a game, and the story, the stories information technology's telling are breathtaking and bridge so much ground of humanity. There's and so, and then, so much to talk virtually, all for a game with zip dialog. It'due south incredible, beautiful, wonderful, and it is ambitious and I say that wholly positively. It's piece of cake to associate all those compliments with something serene and tranquil, and while y'all'll come beyond those moments in Umurangi Generation as well, it applies just as much to when the game is showing anger, venom, piss and vinegar at the cruelty of oppressive systems and the people who uphold it. All those compliments apply just as much to crude graffiti telling another tagger to shut the fuck upward when asked "Have yous tried talking it out?"

Game of the year, game about the year, absolutely necessary. Play Umurangi Generation.

No Caption Provided